Re: Running wire for security cameras, and tips on fishing wire?

RG59, RG6 & RG11 are all suitable for CCTV if they use a 95% braided copper
shield. The aluminium shield versions are more suited for CATV.

Approximate distances for CCTV using copper shield and standard size cables
are up to 750-1000ft for RG59, up to 1200-1500ft for RG6 and up to 2500-3000
for RG11

RG59 with a copper shield is also available in a "mini" size, the maximum
wire run for this cable is less than the standard RG59, but its small size
makes it easier to work with and conceal if necessary.

The /U designation does not denote copper shield, RG59/U is available in
both aluminium and copper shield versions.

My experience is that many people when using the term RG6 are referring to
the aluminum quad shield version commonly used in CATV, and not the copper
shielded version for CCTV.

The choice of cable should depend on the length of the wire run, using RG6
or RG11 on a short run is wasting the customers money, using RG59 on a long
run is wasting your time and the customers money

Doug L