Re: PIR vs. Computers

Frank Olson wrote:
> shady wrote:
>
>> Just wondering if there's a risk of false alarms on a motion (DSC's
>> BV300, not pet immune) which faces a computer about 12-15 feet away
>> (blinking led's, screensavers, etc.)
>>
>> It's been good so far... just don't want to have any problems over
>> Christmas when I'm gone.
>

> Unless you're using your computer as a fax machine or server leaving it
> "on" and completely unattended isn't a good idea.  A fan failure could
> result in damage to your machine, for instance.  It's best to turn it
> off and unplug it from the wall.  If you're going away for any length of
> time, unplug your appliances and TV's as well.  More importantly (and
> depending on where you are) in colder weather, make sure you leave a set
> of keys with a friend or close aquaintance so they can check on the
> house every two or three days.  Some home-owner's policies I've seen
> have clauses that state the insurer considers the house "abandonded"
> (with respect to any cold weather related claims that may arise) if no
> one's been there for more than 72 hours (so make sure they log or
> document their visits as well).  In Edmonton (where I lived for about
> fifteen years), that was a pretty standard clause.  Turn off the water
> to your toilets and to the hot water tank (it's a good idea to shut off
> the gas to the tank or turn of the electric breaker to it as well).

If you unplug everything then be sure that you get those plastic covers
that plug into empty outlets... You don't want electricity leaking out
of the sockets and getting all over the floor.

I actually knew an old woman in my neighborhood (when I was a kid) who
believed this and always had something plugged into every socket in the
house.