Re: ADT Safewatch 3000 pro RF versus GE Simon 3 with Nextalarm

FG wrote:
> Thanks Frank,
>
> Your idea of just replacing the main board by a standard vista 20P is good .
>
> I'll go with ADT and their Custom vista 20P if my company is willling to pay
> the extra stuff  needed by their vista 20p to match the simon
> functionnalities :
> - extra 2lines alpanumerical keypad to be able to program the pannel
> (standard ADT keypad is a "fixed english" type)
> - extra VIP phone module to be able to take control of the pannel over the
> phone   (extra $160)
> - upgraded power supply to pilot X10 devices  ($40-$60)
>
> Regarding the possibility of ripping off the pannel from the wall (wether a
> Simon 3 or Vista 20p), I had allready planned to
> - put it in a hidden place and have the siren installed in a different room.
> - have a 10sec or even zero delay for the entry zone because I could
> desactivate the alarm using the keychain remote control.
> - leave as a decoy ; ) the old and disfunctionnal Beesafe alarm pannel that
> was installed in all condos. This one is indeed installed in plain sight in
> the entrance and can be neutralized/ripped off in 5 seconds...

I don't like the idea of using a keyfob remote disarm your security
system.  When they first became readily available, I had a customer who
wound up having her purse stolen.  The keyfob remote clearly identified
that it was used to control an Ademco panel.  The perp went to her
house, disarmed the system and started loading up on goodies in the
bedroom.  Unfortunately for him, he had left the front door open and a
"busy-body" neighbour called the cops.  They were waiting for him when
he appeared at the front door with two suitcases full of loot.  As it
happens, this turned out well, but it could have been a whole lot worse.
  With no sign of break-in, her insurance provider *may* have had reason
to deny (or at least delay settlement) on any claim.  Use the fob to arm
your system, turn on lights, or open your garage door.  Use the keypad
for disarming your system.