Re: UL Required to get License

robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The point is the customer doesn't need to be UL listed to install *his
> own* fire alarm system.

That's gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever seen you post.  In most
jurisdictions, commercial fire alarm systems must be installed by a
properly licensed electrician.  They must also be designed and have the
drawings sealed by an engineer.  The only place this doesn't apply is
"Sim City" and judging from your responses I'd say that's probably what
you're playing so frequently that you can no longer distiguish between
"real life" and the game.

> Since you're not UL listed (which is the
> obvious reason you've got such a burr in your butt over this), that
> puts my DIY clients ahead of you.  They can install their own system in
> Miami yet you no longer can.

Let's see...  To take out an electrical permit in Miami, you need to be
a licensed electrician.  I suppose your "DIY clients in Miami" can do so
(as long as they're licensed electricians).  Are they??

> If that annoys you, perhaps you should
> bring your company up to spec and get UL listed.

Perhaps you should go peddle your wares in a group that's more
appropriate to your "mantra".

> If you are unwilling
> or (more likely) incapable of doing so, that is no one's problem but
> your own.

If you're "unwilling or (more likely) incapable of" obtaining a Florida
Alarm License "that is no one's problem but your own" as well.

>>What has changed in Miami, is that now, that electrician cannot install that fire alarm system unless he is a UL listed installation company. He cannot even take it in for
>>permitting and plan review unless he is listed.
>
> Yet the building owner can do so and save a bundle of money in the
> process.  Isn't that nice?

Nope.  A building owner can't (install his own fire alarm system).