Re: why ground an alarm panel.

robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>Now- Does anyone think that you HAVE to run a wire to the ground rod to GORUND your alarm panel?
>

> You don't have to but you really ought to.  It's not as though someone
> will be killed by a stray current from the alarm but if you don't
> properly ground the system you might end up with a fried board a lot
> sooner than if you did.
> Who says "You really Ought to?" Please cite a Code reference.
>
>>CAN you run to the cold water pipe?
>

> You can but it's not the ideal location.  You'll get better protection
> by grounding to the rod.
> Who says "It's not ideal- grounding to rod is BETTER"? Please cite a code reference.
>
>>CAN you run to the Service disconnect?
>

> As a general rule you should not.  It's best to minimize the number of
> connection points, turns and distance between the protected device and
> the ground rod.
> What does connection points, turns and distance between the rod and device have to do with
grounding at the service disconnect? I realize that Qualified and
Licensed Electricians SHOULD be the only ones opening panel boards and
wiring into them, But who says "YOU HAVE TO CONNECT TO THE GROUND ROD?"

>>CAN you run to the grounding electrode CONDUCTOR?
>

> No.
>AND why Not- don't Utilities like Verizon and Cablevision routinely
connect to the Grounding electrode CONDUCTOR?

>>CAN you run to the grounding ELECTRODE?
>

> Yes, that is the best option.
>Again, cite code reference that supports this.
>
>>CAN you run to YOUR OWN supplememtary electrode with certain qualifications?
>

> Yes, if you properly bond it to the other grounding electrode(s).
> Agree- But Code only cites specifics for Communication SYSTEMS-
   not for panel boxes by themselves

>>BONDING and GROUNDING are NOT the Same thing!
>

> Correct.  The reason bonding is important is to help prevent lightning
> from traveling in one ground and out another.  By maintaining a near
> zero potential between all earth connections you can reduce the risk.
> WRONG- BONDING is NOT for Lightning prevention! READ THE CODE
   BONDING is to quickly and safely conduct fault currents and reduce
dangerous touch potential voltages
GROUNDING is for conducting lightning and hi potential voltages to earth.