Re: why ground an alarm panel.

Hi, thanks for the responses.

I could have done this in the first place I guess but I wanted to know
what some of the pros in the industry did and why.
I pulled up my pdf for the Ademco V20se install manual and did a search
for the word 'ground' and pertinent things that came up were....

The designated earth ground terminal (25) must be terminated in a good
earth ground for the lightning transient protective devices in this
product to be effective.
The following are examples of good earth grounds available at most
installations.
   metal cold water pipe
   AC Power Outlet Ground   (to test the integrity of the ground
terminal, use a three-wire circuit tester with neon lamp indicators)

If the panel is not connect to a proper earth ground you may get false
line cut indications...

so it looks like it is more for the efficacy of the lightning transient
protective devices that Ademco has on their boards and it is for the
line current sense on the telco line, not really life safety, UL
compliance, or for any code at all.  At least I didn't see anything in
the manual that indicated it was for life safety, UL, or code
compliance.

Thanks again!