Re: why ground an alarm panel.

> Now- Does anyone think that you HAVE to run a wire to the ground rod to GORUND your alarm panel?

You don't have to but you really ought to.  It's not as though someone
will be killed by a stray current from the alarm but if you don't
properly ground the system you might end up with a fried board a lot
sooner than if you did.

> CAN you run to the cold water pipe?

You can but it's not the ideal location.  You'll get better protection
by grounding to the rod.

> CAN you run to the Service disconnect?

As a general rule you should not.  It's best to minimize the number of
connection points, turns and distance between the protected device and
the ground rod.

> CAN you run to the grounding electrode CONDUCTOR?

No.

> CAN you run to the grounding ELECTRODE?

Yes, that is the best option.

> CAN you run to YOUR OWN supplememtary electrode with certain qualifications?

Yes, if you properly bond it to the other grounding electrode(s).

> BONDING and GROUNDING are NOT the Same thing!

Correct.  The reason bonding is important is to help prevent lightning
from traveling in one ground and out another.  By maintaining a near
zero potential between all earth connections you can reduce the risk.

> Why does Elk make a Class II Transformer with a CENTER GROUNDING Terminal?

Marketing.  Dealers wanted it.  If enough guys ask Wade Moose for just
about anything he'll build it or find a way to supply it.

> Presumably for powering ALARM CONTROL PANELS? Can IT be Used with a Grounding conductor to satisfy the requirements?

Safety requirements, yes.  Electronic equipment protection, no.

> And where do we hook the other end of that wire up to?

I wouldn't use it at all but if you choose to do so, connect it to the
panel and/or cabinet earth ground terminal.  Whatever you do, NEVER
connect both the xfmr ground and a proper earth ground.  That is asking
for trouble.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com