Re: why ground an alarm panel.

> Absolutely.  In this case the two are the same.  In my opinion,  NOT grounding a panel is "technically superior",  it's also not required by law.

If the manufacturer's instructions say to ground it, code (not
necessarily "law") says do so.

> ... grounding a burg. panel actually detracts from the system's performance and longevity...

That's why almost every panel manufactuer's engineers design the system
to be grounded, right?

> What RLB described works great on paper and in theory, however, actually putting that scenario into practice is not feasable in 99% of installations.

It would be nice if you actually knew what you're talking about,
Cracker.  What I spoke about -- bonded ground -- is the standard method
of protecting electronics from lightning damage.  It is well-documented
online and in print.  Not only that, but code describes the practice as
well.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com