Re: avoiding being "locked out"

There does not appear to be any easy way to do this. Generally, installing
companies in the area get to know those who engage in this shady practice,
but an individual consumer never knows until he goes to change monitoring
suppliers. Since I unlock quite a number of boards for local (and not so
local) companies, I have come to know the companies in our area that do it.
If I were to generalize (with all it's inherent flaws), I would have to say
that the smaller the alarm company, the more you should be alert for this.
For example, in our area, ADT never lock their boards, nor do Protectron.
But I can think of a half a dozen other small to medium companies that
always do. But I have heard that some "authorized dealers" of ADT in other
areas do. So the field is wide open.

Most equipment has a check for this during a power up and down cycle.
Unfortunately, some makes destroy a measure of the existing programming if
you try, thereby effectively disabling the panel for local use.

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
www.homemetal.com