Re: Help on alarm

Angelo71 wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am planning to install a Paradox Digiplex in my three floors house. I
> have some questions for the experts...
> 1.	Can dual tech pir/motion sensors be installed in the same room one
> opposite to the other or this is likely to be a cause of false alarms?
> In a long rectangular room I have facing windows in the short sides and
> I was planning to put a sensor at the opposite corners, just above each
> window.
> 2.	My basement has four windows at garden level, all with iron exterior
> shutters and bolts. I plan to, specially in the summer, leave all the
> windows opened  and the shutter closed. Is it worth to contact the
> windows or the shutters? The only use I could make of contacts would be
> that before going to sleep or leaving the house, I could easily check
> if I am forgetting shutters opened. The basement will have DGP2-70 or
> maybe DGP2-60, since I do not have pets living in the house.
> 3.	in the basement I also have a 2.30 tall and 2.60 meters wide glass
> sliding door, giving access to the garden; the frame is made of iron,
> the glass is bullet-proof and very thick. The installer said that this
> glass if repeatedly beaten with an heavy hammer, the point beaten would
> crush but the whole glass would not break in peaces, so it would not be
> quicker for a burglar to open himself a passage than breaking a
> standard bricked s wall. Which sensor I should I use to protect it? I
> am not sure about glass sensors; I do not think they would of any use
> since I leave windows open; maybe an acoustic/vibration detector to
> detect tampering attempts on the shutters and the bullet-proof glass
> could be more useful. I saw the Paradox 950 safe protector, that should
> "react to the frequency spectrum of vibrations caused by surface
> breaking, cutting, and heavy knocking by grinders, electric arc
> welders, and oxyacetylene torches. It also reacts to knocking, filing
> and drilling on the protected surface"; its installation manual says
> it should be installed directly on the  protected surface; what if I
> just put one in each wall?
> 4.	I plan to put some DG85 sensors in the garden for extra perimeter
> protection; I am afraid that sensors could detect cars or people
> outside the fence. The fence is made of 4 centimetres wide iron bars,
> with 10 cm. of space between each bar. Anyway, I am planning to cover
> the fence with ivy, but this will take some time.
> Thank you

Angelo, with regard to pointing two dual-tec motion detectors at one
another, I'd be sure to check with the manufacturer first, just to be
sure whether they recommend this.  The Microwave device in many dual
tech motion detectors will cause another dual tech detector, within
range .... to activate erratically or worse case, even constantly.
This, in itself wont cause an alarm condition, but it negates the
purpose of using dual tech detectors. What is usually the case with
dual tech motions, is that the manufacturer makes the PIR portion very
sensitive to motion. What this results in is ..... if you've activated
the microwave portion constantly with the other unit from across the
room, now you've got only a very sensitive PIR between you and a false
alarm. You might find that you'd be better off using two passive infra
red detectors with pulse count or sensitivity control rather than
dual-techs where the microwave detectors are always activated and
leaving only 2 super sensitive PIRs.

Oh and by the way ........ Robert Bass is not an installer of alarms
and wouldn't think of warning you about things like this. He's only
interested in selling equipment to people who don't know what kind of
unscrupulous person he is. He's got a long long record of deceiving
people, stealing information from people, lying about his experience
and backgroud and has a very bad record with the Better Business
Bureau.

Beware of him and what he says.