Re: Help identifying a wire

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:20:27 GMT, JOhn <barnesj@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I received a solution from the builder today.  They had no record of the
>work done, except a copy of a failed electrical inspection.
>
>Apparently the cat5 was wired directly into the 120v gang boxes for home
>automation control.  The set-up failed to pass electrical inspection, and
>the cat5 was ordered to be pulled from the boxes.

CAT5 wired directly to 120V? Inside the box? Yikes! Just goes to show
you that the AG needs to INCREASE the types of systems that fall under
Alarm Service instead of decreasing them. Only someone who hasn't a
clue would wire CAT5 directly to 120V.

But as most alarm people in BC now know, the only thing you need to
prewire alarms is an electrical contractor's licence, knowledge of how
to do it properly is optional. I've seen my share of prewires done by
electricians who use 120V holes for alarm wire and don't see a problem
with that. Same guys who run speaker wires through 120V holes and
terminate the wires at switch level, but no volume control.

>The low voltage contractor that prewired the automation intended to go back
>after it passed second inspection, and terminate the cat5.  This got missed,
>and the drywallers simply pulled everything through where it sat.

How exactly was the LV contractor intending to terminate the CAT5? And
connect to what? If the intention is to use the CAT5 for a LV
transformer, well, it can be done.

Julian