Re: Help identifuing a wire

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:48:39 GMT, "JOhn" <barnesj@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Ive seen my share of poorly done prewires, but this one really has me
>scratching my head. The PIR's are wired at 6ft. The doors are drilled
>through  the casing, not the jamb, so a standard flush mount 3/8 contact
>isnt an option.  The keypads are wired to the same hieght as the swiches
>(not above)

Yup sounds like an alarm prewire done by an electrician.

>all that aside....
>This is a pic of the inside of the mstr bdr walk-in closet, above the door.
>http://www.members.shaw.ca/barnesj/
>The cat5 dangling out of the wall runs to the alarm panel location.  Any
>idea what device it may have been intended for?

Are you sure it's CAT5 and not CAT3? We use CAT3 for Power (yes we use
doubled up conductors)

>... And whats the 120v duplex outlet for?  In the old days they used to put
>an outlet centred, above a high traffic door for a clock.

Uh, plug in transformer for an alarm? Are you sure you know what
you're doing?

>Also, wondering if the exposed terminals on the t-stat transformer are a
>violation of code. (this is B.C. Canada)

OK, when you ask a question like this, I have to ask if YOU really
know what you're doing. Low voltage transformers, how to install them,
where, etc., etc., are all covered in the Electrical Safety Code which
you should know if you are a properly qualified and licenced alarm
tech in BC.

Julian (an actual TQ'd tech in BC)