Re: Help identifuing a wire

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:48:39 GMT, "JOhn" <barnesj@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ive seen my share of poorly done prewires, but this one really has me
> scratching my head. The PIR's are wired at 6ft. The doors are drilled
> through  the casing, not the jamb, so a standard flush mount 3/8 contact
> isnt an option.  The keypads are wired to the same hieght as the swiches
> (not above)

Some keypads have a zone input on them.  If the installer
pre-wired the door contact at the same height as the keypad he
may have intended using that feature.

> all that aside....
> This is a pic of the inside of the mstr bdr walk-in closet, above the door.
> http://www.members.shaw.ca/barnesj/
> The cat5 dangling out of the wall runs to the alarm panel location.  Any
> idea what device it may have been intended for?

That transformer *might* be for a doorbell or some other
non-alarm function.  The cable protruding below the duplex outlet
was probably intended for the alarm transformer.  Although it's
not really the proper cable, I've seen some installations where
the tech bundled two pairs of CAT5 wire to one terminal and two
to the other for the transformer.  If you parallel four 24-gauge
wires together, the effect is ~18-gauge.

> ... And whats the 120v duplex outlet for?

The alarm transformer.

> Also, wondering if the exposed terminals on the t-stat transformer are a
> violation of code. (this is B.C. Canada)

In the USA they would not be a code violation since they're low
voltage.  You'll find the same thing in almost every home -- a
doorbell transformer.  It's possible someone installed that
doorbell transformer instead of the usual alarm transformer but
I'm guessing that's not it.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com