Re: Jury Duty?

Bob La Londe wrote:
> "Crash Gordon" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > It's easy to get out of it in AZ.
> >
> > All you havta do is tell them you are sole provider for your family and
> > cannot take time off from work...it would cause severe hardship
> > financially emortionally and physically. That usually works.
>
> Well, I am not the sole provider for my family, but I have a lot of
> recurring debt that needs to be covered on a monthly basis.
>

> > If it doesn' t chances of y ou actually being assigned a case is pretty
> > slim...and thats when you be come a real "bigot"
> >

> I hesitate to do that.  Some judges will throw you in jail for contempt if
> they think you are just being less than your norma;

Now THAT'S where the subtlety comes in. For instance, a long, long,
LONG time ago, (young and naive) I learned the ropes out of desperation
and chance. I was called for jury duty and actually went and waited for
days, to be picked for a case. It was four days and I was thinking that
if I got called for a case then, it would be possible I could be on it
for a long time, going into the next week or who knows how long. And my
employer wasn't paying me for the days off. On the fifth day I was
called for an auto accident case. When questioned by the attorneys, if
I thought there was any reason for me to be diquaified as a juror, I
asked (very wide eyed and innocently)if the fact that both my mother
and wife had back injuries from being in an automobile accident would
be a reason. (true) They didn't pick me.

THEN ...... I got the picture.

Ya just can't be negative about it, that's all. Act like you want to,
but give them a reason that they can't possibly pick you. Be subtle, is
all I can say.

I don't know what the rules are in your state, but get right on it now
and write a letter to them stating that you are a sole propriator and
send copies of your payroll/tax forms showning no one on your payroll,
(if you can) Or if you can't ..... explain some employees as part time
inexperienced help for bigger jobs that there is no one, office help to
do the day to day necessities. Tell them that the security business is
demanding and cannot leave you're clients unattended due to the fact of
the very nature of the business of protecting thousands of dollars of
your clients homes, businesses and posessions.   Get that out, in the
mail asap .... to whomever. Request at least a postponement at this
time so that you can inquire further into the requirements of being
called for duty. TA DA, TA DA, TA DA. If you delay, there'll be no time
for them to make a decision either way and with out any decision or at
least correspondence from them, you are bound to attened.

Squeaky hinge theory.