Re: Fire Side Chat -- Fire Alarm Code Issue

"Nick Markowitz" <nick-markowitz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Once again It looks like Bob is wrong again.
> It apears to be left up to the AHJ for the decision

The interpretation and application of the fire code is always left to the
discretion of the AHJ.  That does not obviate adherence to the code.  By
such logic you could claim that it's OK to advise people to connect smokes
to a lawnmower.  After all, it's up to the AHJ to decide...  :^)

> but personally I would not do it out of concern
> of false alarms failure to work during power
> failure ad I have seen some of the earlier relays
> which dropped durng a power faiure as well...

There are at least two problems with these relays which make them
unacceptable to code.  First, there is no way to supervise them or the
110VAC smokes to which they are connected.  Wiring to system smoke detectors
must be supervised.  Second, the relay is inoperable during a power outage.
These are critical code issues -- not minor questions of application.

> From what Al tells me he will be
> covering all the aspects in the follow up.

I notified Al of his error at the same time that I brought the matter up
here.  Presumably he will display the integrity to admit the mistake in an
upcoming issue of SSI.  I don't anticipate anything similar on the part of
certain participants here though.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass