Re: Fire Side Chat -- Fire Alarm Code Issue

"Frank Olson" <feolson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> "James" <trishnjames@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Firex does make a relay that is listed for use with their smoke
>> detectors.
>> The problem with this is that it is a 110vac relay, if the power to the
>> smokes goes out the relay will not operate.  I am not sure what the
>> intended
>> use of the relay is but I do know some companys use it to monitor the
>> smokes
>> through their burglar panel.
>

> Firex's smoke relay is called the "model 499"
> (http://www.icca.invensys.com/manuals/firex/110-278F.pdf) and the
> instruction manual states that "The Relay Module is not recommended for
> use with authomatic dialers or security alarm panels".  There's nothing in
> any code or standard that states you can't use it for this purpose though.

Yes, there most certainly is something in the code (USA) which prohibits it.
The code states that devices used with fire alarm systems must be listed for
the purpose and that they must be installed in accordance with the
manufacturer's instructions.  Since the device is not listed for the purpose
and the manufacturer states it is not to be so used it is a code violation
to use it to connect smokes to an alarm panel.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics