Re: Dialer w/Cell Fone

1. If there have been problems with a particular sensor, I can at least
decide if I want a police response, or if I'm going to respond myself,
or both. And before someone pipes in here... I am both trained and
armed. If I saw something "untoward" when I arrived at the house, I'd
hold and call the police. Likewise with the CCTV monitoring, I can
determine if someone's actually on the premises.

2. You seem to have forgotten that the land line is connected via
electronics (the controller). If the entire system were copper wire,
that would be one thing. But it's not. From a reliability analysis
perspective, there's not much difference in Mean Time Before Failure
between the components on the controller and those on the controller
with the AD-2000.

3. The backups know what I want done in each case.

4. With 99+% of the alarm calls being false (generated internally by
the alarm electronics) or "nuisance" (being generated by outside
factors e.g. mice) there's a higher probability that we're dealing with
a waste of time than a real burglary.

You might want to take in Discovery Channel's "It Takes a Thief" if you
can get it. For the most part, the show's hosts (former burglars) walk
away from an alarmed house. They did take on one house that had a
system by going through a basement door then disconnecting the alarm
controller from the telco lines. And this homeowner had an extensive
system with CCTV threat assessment when he was resident. One burglar
commented on an earlier show that he drives by houses with lawn signs
indicative of an alarm system.

Second, good security involves not only the alarm system, but also the
physical barriers you put in front of the burglar. DOD requires that
the physical barriers (classified document containers, etc) be of such
design to withstand an attack until the response force gets there.
That's what I design for.

That said, going back to the show, the thief is on site for 10 minutes
or less. Without good physical security whatever you think you're
protecting is GONE.

Hope you enjoyed your "joke". But my post was fairly straightforward
and simply asked for advice. Instead I get lecturered by you and others
as to the quality of my approach or the viability of it.