Re: Electromagnetic Lock Installation

Hi John,

There's more to consider than where the lock is installed.  You need to wire
it so that there is unimpeded egress in the event of a fire.  The door
should be operable by persons within the locked area with no prior knowledge
of the locking system.  All of this assumes that you're not installing the
lock in a jail or psychiatric ward, of course.  :^)

Perhaps you should consider familiarizing yourself with the code before
installing an electromagnetic lock.  If you get it wrong it's easy to create
a very serious fire hazard.

As to your original question, the lock can be installed wherever it will not
interfere with movement of the door.  Make sure it doesn't create a hazard
to tall people passing through the door.  Note also that there are minimum
height and width standards for exit doors in public places.  I don't have
the dimensions handy.  Perhaps someone else will post them.

Best of luck with the project.  BTW, if you haven't yet sourced the hardware
you may want to visit my website.  I carry several major brands of locks and
access control systems.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass