Re: Attic Smoke Detectors Question

> If you would use a 135 in the attic, where
> would you put a 194?  In Houston, our
> attics are normally in the 135 degree range
> all summer.  It would be absurd to use the
> inside rated smoke in the attic.  I doubt
> that the attics are any cooler in Florida.
> Our weather is pretty much the same as
> yours.

You're absolutely right Tom.

Mugford lives a bit north of Tampa.  The climate is the same as it is
here -- about 2-3 hours to the south.  Outside temperatures in full summer
can top 100ºF at times.  Asphalt roofed attics routinely exceed 135ºF.
Anyone with even one year's installation experience should know this.  That
is why I seriously doubt that Mugford has even installed alarms
professionally.  He's the salesman / owner of a small alarm company.

Even in Connecticut where I installed alarms professionally for nearly a
quarter century attic temperatures would exceed 135ºF on August afternoons.
I didn't even permit techs to enter an attic during summer afternoons due to
the hazard of heat stroke.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass