Re: what exactly a dim command for x10 lamp module?

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 01:47:45 -0700, arnie wrote:

> Yes in order to dim one has to first make device to full on level.
> but subsequently if one want to dim the device can i specify the
> absolute value as i have mentioned earlier. I have also seen certain
> number of levels supported by the dimming devices what does that mean?
> Thanks
> Arnie

I can't give you exact answers as it depends both on your PowerLinc
hardware and on the software driver.

Some software will let you specify an "absolute" dim level. It will
then first send sufficient Bright signals to bring the lamp module
to full brightness, then Dim to the specified level.
Other software will only have "relative" dimming, and it will be
up to the user to first brighten the module to full brightness
before dimming.

Most hardware controllers will support adjusting the dim level in
5% or 6% steps.  (Some controllers support 1% or 3% steps.)  From
what I've seen of Smarthome devices, I suspect your PowerLinc will
only support the 5% or 6% steps.  (You may be able to program the
software in 1% increments but the actual dim signals sent are
rounded to the nearest 5% or 6% level.)