Re: Installing an ELK M1 Gold

"garydidio via HomeKB.com" <u28903@uwe> wrote in message news:6914ff6dd677d@xxxxxx
> Robert,
>
> Thank you for the information.  Upon further investigation with the
> distributor of my Elk system, he advised I do not need to have all fire
> detectors sounding when one goes off.  I will be installing an echo
> speaker/siren in the living space which will not only announce the alarm, but
> can tell me exactly which zone has been tripped.

That will be fine as long as the sound is loud enough to wake a sleeping person in any bedroom.  If you don't need the sounders the
smoke detectors will be less expensive.  Just be certain that the sound is loud enough for your home.

> Regarding the EOL resistors, I am still a bit confused.  If the resistors are
> in series with the contact switch or motion detector, then it should not
> matter where along the loop the resistor is placed.

Electrically, it doesn't make any difference where the resistor is placed.  The 3 states remain the same.  However, there is a
significant difference in how it functions.  The purpose of the resistor, as you know, is to *supervise* the circuit against
shorting or cutting.  If the resistor is placed inside the alarm control panel and someone accidentally or deliberately shorts the
wire at the sensor, the panel will not see a change.  This is a bad thing.  By placing the resistor at the "end of line" (next to or
inside the detector), you are supervidsing all of the wiring between there and the control panel.

> The outside strobe is a great idea, as my house is
> set in the woods back from the main road a couple
> of hundred feet.

If it's that far back, use a more powerful strobe.  System Sensor makes a model S1224MCKW that's very bright.  It's intended for
outdoor annunciation of a fire alarm.  You can scratch off the word "Fire" if you like.
Here's a link (my website) to info on it: http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/product_14170_detailed.htm

> Thanks again!

No problem.  Best of luck.

--