Re: Smarthome/INSTEON?

"Mark Thomas" <mrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Dave,
>
>What's your take on the possibility of wireless Insteon transmitters
>(motion detectors, etc)? I'm not sure if it's possible because the
>timing is based on powerline zero crossings.  Perhaps they can use a
>different RF scheme with a plug-in transceiver.

That's only for the RF transmissions used to couple PLC between the two
phases. If you look at the diagrams in their whitepaper (www.insteon.org)
you'll see that they plan for RF only devices which (being RF only) cannot
be in sync with zero crossings. They don't give details but it looks like
they should be able to accomodate remotes as well as sensors.