Re: Recomendations wanted for outdoor video camera (make/model) and retailer

Thanks for the replys.

Here are a few more points as to what I'm looking for:

- top mounting screw or base (ie ceiling mountable)
- Dome-style not required (or desired)
- PZT not needed (which is a whole other ball game)
- additional mounting complexity, compatability, and visibility of
  an outdoor housing chasis is not desired (would go to a
  bullet-cam style camera instead of a camera that needed
  an out-door housing).
- The Powertech camera (below) and KG-230EX are interesting but
  I wonder about the quality of the optics.

In general I prefer the "form factor" of the box-style camera (as in
most of the cameras listed below) but I'm unsure if their housing is
suitable for outdoor use (ie mounted, say, 6" under an eve with a 2
foot overhang).  I don't think that the occasional -20f night (which
we had quite a few of this past winter) is necessarily something these
camera's can't handle.  I think more of an issue is condensation or
fogging on (or in?) the lens assembly

I've done a quick search and have put together a (more or less) random
list of cameras that is representative of what I'm looking for.  Any
direct experience with these items is what I'm looking for, or
anything similar (again for protected out-door use).

Panasonic WV-CP244 ($209)
http://www.securityproshop.com/product/main.asp?pro_id=328
($162 at http://www.prosecuritywarehouse.com/fixedhighrescolor.html)
This is the sort of camera I had in mind (probably the upper end of
the price range I had in mind too).

PANASONIC:   WV-CP484 SERIES ($376.00)
http://www.prosecuritywarehouse.com/fixedhighrescolor.html

PANASONIC:   WV-CP254H  ($299)
http://www.prosecuritywarehouse.com/fixedhighrescolor.html

SONY:  SSC-E473  ULTRA HIGH RES DAY/NIGHT COLOR CAMERA ($257)
http://www.prosecuritywarehouse.com/fixedhighrescolor.html

SONY:     SSC-DC374    HIGH RES COLOR CAMERA ($158)
http://www.prosecuritywarehouse.com/fixedhighrescolor.html

POWER TECH :   PIR-4856   HIGH RES COLOR CAMERA W/INFRARED ($195)
http://www.prosecuritywarehouse.com/fixedhighrescolor.html

Panasonic WV-CP470 Fixed Day/Night Camera ($487)
http://www.securityproshop.com/product/main.asp?pro_id=517
This camera is probably a little more than I want to spend, but it's
got some interesting features.

Sony SSC-DC374 High Resolution Color Camera ($205)
http://www.securityproshop.com/product/main.asp?pro_id=832
Again here's an affordable camera - but like others in this style I
see a cable running from the camera body to the lens.  Is this some
sort of motorized zoom or focus?  And if so, I assume there will be
low temerature concerns with the operation of the motorized function?

Sony SSC-DC193 Fixed Color Camera ($210)
http://www.securityproshop.com/product/main.asp?pro_id=290

KG-230EX Weatherproof Color 0.05 LUX Moonlight Camera ($180)
http://www.cctvwholesalers.com/customer/product.php?productid=16159&cat=0&page=1

Robert Green wrote:

> http://azcctv.com/Color-exterior-high-resolution-low-light-cameras.46.0.-hr- ll-.0.htm
>
> ProVideo CVC-637EX Color Bullet Camera
> Operating Temperature  -20 degrees to 122 degrees F

Nice, but I think I would go with the SPECO TECH CVC-870EX H.E.A.T.
Color Bullet Camera.

> If the OP has a *really* cold freezer he can pre-test them
> before mounting them under the eaves.

Yea, but how do I simulate a rainy November or April day in Ontario?

> The difference between a bare bulletcam and a heated housing
> is roughly the equivalent of hanging a lipstick case from the
> eaves versus hanging a small mailbox or birdhouse.  Things
> that big hanging from the roof usually have a low spousal
> approval factor.  :-)

Yes, I don't exactly want my house to look like most of the UK does
with cameras everywhere.