Re: Help with 7 Circuit Project?

"Brett Griffin" <brett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Other complaints of X-10 had to use a coupler/repeater and it is slow.  What
>do you think Radio Ra uses, basically every 30 feet you need a device to
>repeat the signal to get good coverage, and Radio Ra is as slow if not
>slower than X-10.  Now I am not bashing Radio RA, it is a great reliable
>technology, but it 3 times the cost of professional X-10 or UPB.

The first copy of an X-10 signal takes 11/60 of a second (0.183333333 secs).
Elsewhere you've said UPB takes 1/5 second (0.2 secs). Do the math.

Lutron's Radio RA uses RF which travels at 186,000 miles per second taking
.00000030547 to go 30 feet. Are you saying that Lutron repeats the signal
sequentially? (Z-Wave apparently does this so the time required between any
two end points depends on the number of hops required.) Even in a sequential
system, most of the total time will be from the length of the code itself
and Lutron RA does use a ridiculously lengthy code. Crestron crams far more
information into a very short code. Insteon appears to repeat both RF and
PLC in realtime so the only time involved is the length of the code which is
very short. (I do not have hands-on experience with Insteon so I may be
misinterpreting things.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "professional X-10". Most of the X-10 Pro
modules I've seen have innards that are identical to the non-pro versions -
the only difference (aside from price) being the logo on the case and terms
of the warranty. Some recent modules appear to come only in Pro versions.
UPB appears to cost 2-3 times non-pro X-10 list prices. Direct comparisons
are difficult due to the lack of equivalent UPB devices.