Re: Re: Standalone xPL Hub Summary, Mark II

Hi Mal,

I was thinking about xpl-lib, not the hub.  Compiling another hub in
.net would be pointless since yours will be the one and only! :-)

Are the multiple ip address issues resolved in your implementation -
i.e. do you implement a way to define on which ip address the hub must
listen on ?
(the ListenOn/ListenTo configuration elements of the V3 hub...)  V3
also uses the ListenOn address to send broadcasts from.  In my case it
solved a firewall issue: I didn't have to open udp port 3865.  But
this might be due to the type of firewall (not the XP builtin one).

Might as well re-use a few bits and ideas of V3 before we burry it, eh.

Tom

On 9/16/05, Mal Lansell <mal@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I ripped the hub from my SDK last night, and got most of the way
> through creating a non-.NET stand-alone hub (the same exe can be run
> either as a service or console app).
>
> Mal
>

> --- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, Tom Van den Panhuyzen <tomvdp@g...>
> wrote:
> > This will be fairly easy for the .net framework too.  I can have
> > look at it this weekend.  Unless John B tells me to "stay
off!"...

> > Tom
> >
> > On 9/16/05, Gerry Duprey <gerry@c...> wrote:
> > > Howdy,

> if there is
*always*
> assume that a
> > >
> > > I think this is an OK assumption, as long as the app isn't
going
> to break.
> > > Since you can always send xPL messages, hub or not, nothing
it
> technically
> > > in the way.  However, the underlying framework should
provide
> some sort of
> > > check to see if a hub has been detected or not (like you can
ask
> if you've
> > > been configured or not) so for an app that chooses not to
send
> messages
> > > until the hub is active, it has something to make that
decision
> from.

worded
> as "suggested
would be a lot
> of work
> would be
> > >
> > > I'll make it suggested in the next version.  However, I have
> say, I was
> > > surprised at how easy this change was to make to the
xPL4Java
> framework.
> > > Only took about 30 minutes to code it and do initial
testing.  I
> want to do
> > > more testing, but it was pretty easy.
> > >
> > > I've also re-done my xPL hub (for linux) so it now has a
> supervisory
> > > function that insures it's running and if it stops,
relaunches
> it.  That
> > > took about 30 minutes too.
> > >
> > > It's one of the things I really appreciate about this
solution.
> The change
> > > is pretty easy to accomplish.
> > >
> > > While I understand if folks don't have time to implement it
> completely in
> > > various frameworks, I would hope that an version with any
> automatic hub
> > > removed could happen quickly -- once this gets
"official", the
> clearer the
> > > apps work, the quicker the "transition" period
will be.