Re: Standalone xPL Hub Summary, Mark II

  • Subject: Re: Standalone xPL Hub Summary, Mark II
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:33:49 -0000

I ripped the hub from my SDK last night, and got most of the way
through creating a non-.NET stand-alone hub (the same exe can be run
either as a service or console app).

Mal

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, Tom Van den Panhuyzen <tomvdp@g...>
wrote:
> This will be fairly easy for the .net framework too.  I can have a
> look at it this weekend.  Unless John B tells me to "stay
off!"...

> Tom
>
> On 9/16/05, Gerry Duprey <gerry@c...> wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > > I don't think so - to my mind, the application should act as
if there is
> > > a hub present anyway. I think that an app should *always*
assume that a
> > > hub is present and in essence, not give it any other
thought.

> > I think this is an OK assumption, as long as the app isn't going
to break.
> > Since you can always send xPL messages, hub or not, nothing it
technically
> > in the way.  However, the underlying framework should provide
some sort of
> > check to see if a hub has been detected or not (like you can ask
if you've
> > been configured or not) so for an app that chooses not to send
messages
> > until the hub is active, it has something to make that decision
from.

> > > One thing also - the suggested timings have to be worded
as "suggested
> > > values", not as a protocol breaking rule. There would
be a lot
of work
> > > involved in re-writing existing code, and I think that time
would be
> > > better spent on new developments!
> >
> > I'll make it suggested in the next version.  However, I have to
say, I was
> > surprised at how easy this change was to make to the xPL4Java
framework.
> > Only took about 30 minutes to code it and do initial testing.  I
want to do
> > more testing, but it was pretty easy.
> >
> > I've also re-done my xPL hub (for linux) so it now has a
supervisory
> > function that insures it's running and if it stops, relaunches
it.  That
> > took about 30 minutes too.
> >
> > It's one of the things I really appreciate about this solution.
The change
> > is pretty easy to accomplish.
> >
> > While I understand if folks don't have time to implement it
completely in
> > various frameworks, I would hope that an version with any
automatic hub
> > removed could happen quickly -- once this gets
"official", the
clearer the
> > apps work, the quicker the "transition" period will be.
> >
> > Gerry
> >
> > --
> > Gerry Duprey
> > Ann Arbor, MI 48103