Re: Protocol questions

I've some protocol questions of my own:

1) When driving MediaPortal with media.basic messages, I've been sending
URLs in the message, including '/' or '\' characters - are those
actually permitted?

2) What is the reason for the 128 char limit on the length of the value
in a name=value pair?  It means I have to split my URLs onto multiple
lines (not such a biggy, I was just curious really)

3) Should we have a method for giving "official" status to
schemas?  I'm
thinking of the media.basic schema again.  Tony introduced it, but with
him not contributing to xPL any longer (in fact, his MyHap protocol has
the look of another xAP/xPL style split), it doesn't seem right for him
to have ownership of that schema anymore.  I'm using it with my
MediaPortal plugin, and I would prefer to develop it as I see fit
without reference to someone who no longer contributes...

Mal

Ian Lowe wrote:

> > I have a couple of things I'd like to clarify.
>
> Sure, happy to help.
>
> >  the names of name/value pairs must contain only the following
> characters:
> A-Z, a-z and 0-9
>
> That's been updated since - the name section (and indeed all
sturctural
> elements of the message) must be lowercase. That doesn't change your
> point,
> however :
>
> > However, the "hbeat.app" and "hbeat.end"
messages both contain the name
> "remote-ip" which would seem > to be invalid since it
contains '-'?

> Indeed. Consider the document incorrect '-' has been used widely, so
the
> protocol document should reflect that.
>

> > Is it expected that name/value pairs be in the specific order as
> specified
> in the docs - e.g. hop,
> > source, target - or can they be in any order?
>
> The order is significant - elements should be present in the order
> specified. That being said - as you suggest, being liberal in receipt
is a
> good idea.
>
> > In "Example Two: A PC Media Application", the class is
sometimes
> "mediapl"
> and sometimes it is "audio".  Similarly the class type in
the second
> part is
> "winamp" in some places and "custom" in some
others.  I assume these