Re: Protocol questions

  • Subject: Re: Protocol questions
  • From: Mal Lansell <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:55:34 +0100

Mark Hindess wrote:

> I thought I'd write the usual: a logger, a clock and a hub. ;-)
>
> But more seriously ...
>
> I'm a Linux and Perl hacker.  I moved house five months ago and
> some automation was in order.  I chose to use Jabber as a transport
> for messages.  Partly because I was familiar with the protocol and
> partly because I like the idea of using a chat style interface for
> configuration and querying my house.
>
> One reason I dismissed xPL was that until my structured cabling (well
> maybe that's overstating it at little) was installed I had about six
> different subnets and xPL's broadcast nature didn't seem to fit this
> topology very well.  However, I think I'm ready to look at this again
> now the network is beginning to take shape.  (Having said that I'm
still
> interested in how xPL is intended to work in this sort of environment?
> Multicasts perhaps or perhaps just some simple variant of a hub to
bridge
> networks?)

There is a VB6 app for bridging subnets (and the internet) here
http://www.xplhal.com/xpl_vb6.htm
(scroll to the bottom).  It requires
the .Net framework to run.

There will probably be a new non-.Net version (but still for Windows)
written in C++ sometime later this year - it depends when I get time to
do it.

One thing the xPL project is short of is versions of the applications
that can run under Linux - most stuff is aimed at squarely at Windows.
Anything you do to redress the balance will be warmly welcomed by many
I'm sure :-)

Mal