MyHAP ?? (was Protocol questions)

Howdy

> thinking of the media.basic schema again.  Tony introduced it, but
with
> him not contributing to xPL any longer (in fact, his MyHap protocol
has
> the look of another xAP/xPL style split), it doesn't seem right for
him

Does anyone have any background on this?  I just went and looked at it and
while there are differences, it looks an awful lot like xPL.

I don't begrudge him creating a new protocol, but I can't quite understand
why a new protocol that is basically a slight variation of an existing
protocol (that he was involved with) exists?

I feel xPL started off as a great idea -- it took the good stuff from xAP
and was willing to simplify and nail down details xAP didn't seem to want
do (at least when I was there).  I think you could take any xPL app written
since xPL came to life and it would still work today.  True, it might not
take advantage of some of the newer items, but there is nothing there that
is fatal -- just some compatible niceties.

xPL has a lot of power to it as a concept and implementation and having
gotten myself involved after a long period of reading and thinking, I
believe it has the ability to be one of the most promising and integrative
thing to hit HA (especially with some of the recent discussions involving
plugin and schema development).

Anyway, with all that going for it, I'm more than a bit curious on why Tony
felt the need to turn away from it *and* create a new but very similar
protocol.   I'm sure he had reasons and I'm hoping someone who might know
more would share them, or at least as much of them as they'd feel
comfortable sharing.

Thanks,

Gerry
--