Re: Re: xPL newbie (still!) needs help with xPL_HomeVision (detecting variable chang

Hi Frank,

> Is xPL-HVISION reporting all the variables  to xPL ???

No, just the one I've removed the exclude file...
However, each time ANY variable changes xPL_HomeVision has to request
ALL the variable vaues from HV, compare them against the previous
values and then (if not excluded etc.) report the change to xPL.

> I have found Periodic Loops set to every loop tend to clog down hv a
> lot......Are you using Periodic loops ,every loop ....??

No, not in this example - I was just suggesting it as the most
dramatic way to demonstrate the problem. In my senario, another
variable (not the variable I'm "watching") is being updated in a
timer
every 0.4 seconds.

Thanks,
Andy.

On 5/21/05, Frank Mc Alinden <frankmc@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Andy
>             Is xPL-HVISION reporting all the variables  to xPL ???
> I have found Periodic Loops set to every loop tend to clog down hv a
> lot......Are you using Periodic loops ,every loop ....??
> Frank

frequently. My
> > understanding is that HV simply says "a variable has
changed" but
> > doesn't say which one. So, in order to detect which variables
have
> > changed, xPL_HomeVision has to request ALL the variable values
from HV
> > and compare them to the previous values. Doing this every 0.4
seconds
> > is just not feasible for HV and controller slows considerably,
such
> > that there is a noticable delay in responding to input ports
changing
> > etc.
> >
> > I think there could be a nice way to tackle this but it would
require
> > a change to xPL_HomeVision - I'll drop Steve a mail offlist and
see if
> > he thinks it's worth it.
> >
> > To test, try updating one of the variables you "watch"
in a periodic
> > event that runs every loop and then have a play with something
> > connected to HV input ports, say FirM.
> > What I observed was that the LED which used to change colour
every 0.4
> > seconds, now took ~3 seconds to change purely because HV was busy
> > handling DDE requests.
> >
> > Let me know how it goes... ;o)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andy.
> >
> > On 5/21/05, Frank Mc Alinden <frankmc@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >  Hi Andy
> > >              What exactly are you trying to achieve ...??
> > >  I dont think the issue is having variable reporting being
> > > enabled...although
> > >  might be an idea to to export your latest hv file and
create 2 new
> hvinput
> > >  and hvexclude files and only exclude what you need
reporting on ???

<andrew.kilgore@xxxxxxx>

useful...
> > >  >
> > >  > After all our hard work, it turns out that having HV
notify me of
> > >  > variable changes will not work efficiently for me. As
a test I was
> > >  > playing about with my immersion (momentary) switch
which starts a
> > >  > timer for 0.4 seconds. Everytime the timer fires I
change the colour
> > >  > of an LED and restart the timer. This continues until
the switch is
> > >  > released. This worked fine but runs like a dog with
variable
> reporting
> > >  > enabled (as the timer event sets a couple of
variables)
wrote:
> > >  > >  Hi Andy
> > >  > >              Not sure if you are aware but if you
need to create a
> > >  > >  Determinator when a Particular event has
occurred ie change in
> > > variable
> > >  ,
> > >  > > if
> > >  > >  you highlite the reported message in xPL -Mon
and right click ,
> then
> > >  select
> > >  > >  create a Determinator , this will automagically
create the input
> > >  condition
> > >  > >  for your Determinator , you then only have to
create the Actions
> > >  section
> > >  > > of
> > >  > >  the Determinator...-)
> > >  > >
> > >  > >  Also theres another option when you right click
, Populate a
> Global
> > > and
> > >  > > this
> > >  > >  will allow you to save say the value of the
variable in to an xPL
> > >  Global ,
> > >  > >  it requests which section of the message to
store in the Global (
> > >  current=
> > >  > >  in this case) and then create the
Determinator...;-)
> > >  > >
> > >  > >  The Determinator i wrote last nite captures a
hv periodic event
> > >  "Vacancy
> > >  > >  Counter 2" which decrements a variable once
every 5 minutes if no
> > >  movement
> > >  > >  or ir detected.....
> > >  > >
> > >  > >  I have it displaying a message saying the
variable has changed and
> > > also
> > >  > > the
> > >  > >  current value of the variable using the 2
Determinators mentioned
<amkilgore@xxxxxxx>
> > >  > >  To: <ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx>
> > >  > >  Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 11:47 AM
> > >  > >  Subject: [ukha_xpl] Re: xPL newbie (still!)
needs help with
> > >  xPL_HomeVision
> > >  > >  (detecting variable chang
> > >  > >
> > >  > >
> > >  > >  > Eureka!
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > I got it working just as your mail came
through...
> > >  > >  > I hadn't initially enabled the automatic
reporting of variables
> and
> > >  > >  > tried earler but this seemed to have no
effect. What I didn't
> > > realise
> > >  > >  > is that I needed to reload my schedule into
HV for this to take
> > >  > > effect...!
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > It's now working perfectly!
> > >  > >  > Thanks you so much for all your help! I
think (this time) I'm
> well
> > > on
> > >  > >  > my way to finally integrating xPL into my
setup.
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > Now we can sleep!
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > Many thanks,
> > >  > >  > Andy.
> > >  > >  > --- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Frank Mc
Alinden"
> <frankmc@i...>
> > >  wrote:
> > >  > >  > > Hi Andy
> > >  > >  > >
> > >  > >  > >           I have enabled the DDE
message reporting........
> > >  > >  > > Also Under controller setting , pc
comms i also have Variables
> > >  ticked
> > >  > >  > > enable auto reporting...??
> > >  > >  > >
> > >  > >  > > xPL-HVISION   setting  which you
access via xPL devices in xPL
> > >  > >  > Manager  , i
> > >  > >  > > have  ddespeed set at 500 and lastsent
at 3 and assumeok set
<amkilgore@n...>
> > >  > >  > > To: <ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx>
> > >  > >  > > Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 11:28 AM
> > >  > >  > > Subject: [ukha_xpl] Re: xPL newbie
(still!) needs help with
> > >  > >  > xPL_HomeVision
> > >  > >  > > (detecting variable chang
> > >  > >  > >
> > >  > >  > >
> > >  > >  > > > Hi Frank,
> > >  > >  > > >
> > >  > >  > > > Thanks - I got it off the files
section...
> > >  > >  > > > Still same problem though... :o(
> > >  > >  > > >
> > >  > >  > > > So, I'm thinking the reason that
xPL_HomeVision doesn't
> detect
> > >  the
> > >  > >  > > > change is bacuse HV isn't telling
it... I'm starting to
> think
> > >  that
> > >  > >  > > > there's something not quite right
with my HV setup...
> > >  > >  > > > Did you have to change anything
other than enabling DDE
> > >  > >  > send/receive...?
> > >  > >  > > > What version of the HV software
are you running...?
> > >  > >  > > >
> > >  > >  > > > Thanks,
> > >  > >  > > > Andy.
> > >  > >  > > >
> > >  > >  > > > --- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx,
"Frank Mc Alinden"
> > >  <frankmc@i...>
> > >  > >  > wrote:
> > >  > >  > > > > Hi Andy
> > >  > >  > > > >             Have uploaded my
version to the files section
Alinden" <frankmc@i...>
> > >  > >  > > > > To: <ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx>
> > >  > >  > > > > Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005
10:32 AM
> > >  > >  > > > > Subject: Re: [ukha_xpl] Re:
xPL newbie (still!) needs help
> > > with
> > >  > >  > > > > xPL_HomeVision (detecting
variable chang
> > >  > >  > > > >
> > >  > >  > > > >
> > >  > >  > > > > > Hi Andy
> > >  > >  > > > > >
> > >  > >  > > > > >         Got the
following error when i sent you the
> > >  > >  > xPL-HVISION file
> > >  > >  > > > > >
> > >  > >  > > > > > This Message was
undeliverable due to the following
> reason:
> > >  > >  > > > > >
> > >  > >  > > > > > Your message is larger
than the destination computer is
> > >  willing
> > >  > >  > > > > > accept, so it was
returned.  The error message below
> > >  indicates
> > >  > > the
> > >  > >  > > > > > size of your message
and the maximum size allowed by the
> > >  > > receiving
> > >  > >  > > > > > E-mail system.  You may
be able to split your message
> into
> > >  > > several
> > >  > >  > > > > > smaller pieces and have
them delivered separately.
> > >  > >  > > > > >
> > >  > >  > > > > > Your message was
rejected by gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
> for
> > >  the
> > >  > >  > > > following
> > >  > >  > > > > > reason:
> > >  > >  > > > > >
> > >  > >  > > > > >      5.7.0 Illegal
Attachment
> > >  > >  > > > > >
> > >  > >  > > > > > The following
recipients did not receive this message:
<andrew.kilgore@g...>
<Postmaster@m...>
> > >  > >  > > > > > if you feel this
message to be in error.
> > >  > >  > > > > >
> > >  > >  > > > > > The original message
has been removed from the bounce
ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx
ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx
> > >  > >  > > > To Subscribe:
> > > ukha_xpl-subscribe@xxxxxxx
> > >  > >  > > > To Unsubscribe:
> > >  > >  > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > >  > >  > > >
> > >  > >  > > >
> > >  > >  > > >
> > >  > >  > > >
> > >  > >  > > >
> > >  > >  > > >
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > xPL Links: http://www.xplproject.org.uk http://www.xplhal.com
> > >  > >  http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk
> > >  > >  > To Unsubscribe:
> > >  > >  > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >
> > >  > >
> > >  > >
> > >  > >
> > >  > >  xPL Links: http://www.xplproject.org.uk http://www.xplhal.com
> > >  > > http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk
> > >  > >
> > >  > >
> > >  > >  ________________________________
> > >  > >  Yahoo! Groups Links
> > >  > >
> > >  > >
> > >  > > To visit your group on the web, go to:
> > >  > >
> > >  > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> > >  > >
> > >  > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
Yahoo! Terms of
> Service.
> > >  >
> > >  >