Re: Re: xPL newbie (still!) needs help with xPL_HomeVision (detecting variable chang

Hi Frank,

I'm pretty sure my xPL/HV setup is fine - everything works, but the
performance of the actual HV controller dramatically decreases (in
some circumstances).

The problem is simply due to the amount of work HV has to do handling
DDE requests when a variable (or flag) gets updated so frequently. My
understanding is that HV simply says "a variable has changed" but
doesn't say which one. So, in order to detect which variables have
changed, xPL_HomeVision has to request ALL the variable values from HV
and compare them to the previous values. Doing this every 0.4 seconds
is just not feasible for HV and controller slows considerably, such
that there is a noticable delay in responding to input ports changing
etc.

I think there could be a nice way to tackle this but it would require
a change to xPL_HomeVision - I'll drop Steve a mail offlist and see if
he thinks it's worth it.

To test, try updating one of the variables you "watch" in a
periodic
event that runs every loop and then have a play with something
connected to HV input ports, say FirM.
What I observed was that the LED which used to change colour every 0.4
seconds, now took ~3 seconds to change purely because HV was busy
handling DDE requests.

Let me know how it goes... ;o)

Thanks,
Andy.

On 5/21/05, Frank Mc Alinden <frankmc@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Hi Andy
>              What exactly are you trying to achieve ...??
>  I dont think the issue is having variable reporting being
> enabled...although
>  might be an idea to to export your latest hv file and create 2 new
hvinput
>  and hvexclude files and only exclude what you need reporting on ???
>
>  Frank

Actions
>  section
>  > > of
>  > >  the Determinator...-)
>  > >
>  > >  Also theres another option when you right click , Populate
a Global
> and
>  > > this
>  > >  will allow you to save say the value of the variable in to
an xPL
>  Global ,
>  > >  it requests which section of the message to store in the
Global (
>  current=
>  > >  in this case) and then create the Determinator...;-)
>  > >
>  > >  The Determinator i wrote last nite captures a  hv periodic
event
>  "Vacancy
>  > >  Counter 2" which decrements a variable once every 5
minutes if no
>  movement
>  > >  or ir detected.....
>  > >
>  > >  I have it displaying a message saying the variable has
changed and
> also
>  > > the
>  > >  current value of the variable using the 2 Determinators
mentioned
>  > >  above..........
>  > >
>  > >  HTH
>  > >  Frank
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
I didn't
<frankmc@i...>
>  wrote:
>  > >  > > Hi Andy
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >           I have enabled the DDE message
reporting........
>  > >  > > Also Under controller setting , pc comms i also
have Variables
>  ticked
>  > >  > > enable auto reporting...??
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > xPL-HVISION   setting  which you access via xPL
devices in xPL
>  > >  > Manager  , i
>  > >  > > have  ddespeed set at 500 and lastsent at 3 and
assumeok set to
<amkilgore@n...>
>  > >  > > To: <ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx>
>  > >  > > Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 11:28 AM
>  > >  > > Subject: [ukha_xpl] Re: xPL newbie (still!)
needs help with
>  > >  > xPL_HomeVision
>  > >  > > (detecting variable chang
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > > Hi Frank,
>  > >  > > >
>  > >  > > > Thanks - I got it off the files section...
>  > >  > > > Still same problem though... :o(
>  > >  > > >
>  > >  > > > So, I'm thinking the reason that
xPL_HomeVision doesn't detect
>  the
>  > >  > > > change is bacuse HV isn't telling it... I'm
starting to think
>  that
>  > >  > > > there's something not quite right with my
HV setup...
>  > >  > > > Did you have to change anything other than
enabling DDE
>  > >  > send/receive...?
>  > >  > > > What version of the HV software are you
running...?
>  > >  > > >
>  > >  > > > Thanks,
>  > >  > > > Andy.
>  > >  > > >
>  > >  > > > --- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Frank Mc
Alinden"
>  <frankmc@i...>
>  > >  > wrote:
>  > >  > > > > Hi Andy
>  > >  > > > >             Have uploaded my version
to the files section of
<frankmc@i...>
>  > >  > > > > To: <ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx>
>  > >  > > > > Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 10:32 AM
>  > >  > > > > Subject: Re: [ukha_xpl] Re: xPL newbie
(still!) needs help
> with
>  > >  > > > > xPL_HomeVision (detecting variable
chang
>  > >  > > > >
>  > >  > > > >
>  > >  > > > > > Hi Andy
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > >         Got the following error
when i sent you the
>  > >  > xPL-HVISION file
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > > This Message was undeliverable
due to the following reason:
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > > Your message is larger than the
destination computer is
>  willing
>  > >  > > > > > accept, so it was returned.  The
error message below
>  indicates
>  > > the
>  > >  > > > > > size of your message and the
maximum size allowed by the
>  > > receiving
>  > >  > > > > > E-mail system.  You may be able
to split your message into
>  > > several
>  > >  > > > > > smaller pieces and have them
delivered separately.
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > > Your message was rejected by
gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com for
>  the
>  > >  > > > following
>  > >  > > > > > reason:
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > >      5.7.0 Illegal Attachment
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > > The following recipients did not
receive this message:
<Postmaster@m...>
>  > >  > > > > > if you feel this message to be in
error.
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > > The original message has been
removed from the bounce
ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx
>  > >  > > > > > To Subscribe:
>  > > ukha_xpl-subscribe@xxxxxxx
>  > >  > > > > > To Unsubscribe:
>  > >  > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > >
>  > >  > > >
>  > >  > > >
>  > >  > > >
>  > >  > > > xPL Links: http://www.xplproject.org.uk http://www.xplhal.com
>  > >  > > http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk
>  > >  > > > To Subscribe:
> ukha_xpl-subscribe@xxxxxxx
>  > >  > > > To Unsubscribe:
>  > >  > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
>  > >  > > >
>  > >  > > >
>  > >  > > >
>  > >  > > >
>  > >  > > >
>  > >  > > >
>  > >  >
>  > >  >
>  > >  >
>  > >  >
>  > >  > xPL Links: http://www.xplproject.org.uk http://www.xplhal.com
>  > >  http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk
>  > >  > To Unsubscribe:
>  > >  > Yahoo! Groups Links
>  > >  >
>  > >  >
>  > >  >
>  > >  >
>  > >  >
>  > >  >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >  xPL Links: http://www.xplproject.org.uk http://www.xplhal.com
>  > > http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >  Yahoo! Groups Links
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > To visit your group on the web, go to:
>  > >
>  > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>  > >
>  > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.