RE: New User questions re Hardware interface and what protocol.

  • Subject: RE: New User questions re Hardware interface and what protocol.
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:12:54 -0000

I have to agree - that technical discussion just isn't going to happen.

To the outside eye, postnuke and phpnuke seems very similar, but just
watch those guys hurl argument after argument at each other ;)

Mark H and I have had a chat offlist about this - he disagrees with some
of the things I have said about xAP (and specifically about the BSC
Mapper, which he wrote!). Given that I can see that he's made quite a
few perfectly valid points, I think it's safe to say that the xPL guys
clearly know best about xPL, but really can't comment with any authority
on xAP. The xAP guys know best about xAP, and similarly can't really
comment with any authority on xPL.

The arguments and discussions that lead to the xap/xpl split are tired
and well worn, and going back over old ground again is not helpful. I'll
suggest that the best course of action here is for xPL questions to be
asked here, and xAP questions to be asked over on the xap_developers
yahoo group instead - and bear in mind that both groups will have a
slightly rose tinted view of their own protocol, and a slightly thorny
view of the other.

If neither one is a complete solution for your needs, xplhal has support
for both protocols and can act as a scripting "bridge" between
the two -
Kevin H has a good deal of experience in this regard.

Ian.