Re: Re: JAVA and Linux XPL implementations

Tom Van den Bon wrote:

>>I am currently in the position that most of my 'server' based stuff
is
>>on a powerful linux box. However I still need to have an old pc (a
486
>>running NT!!) running xplhal and linking x10 to my network.
>>
>>I have been reading though the java/linux framework sites and was
>>wondering has anyone managed to link these all together to be able
>>

>to do
>

>>the following on a linux machine (or just with java)
>>- scripting engine (seems xpl4java does this - how easy is it to
use?
>>determinators?)
>>- xpl control of a serial x10 controller
>>
>>Cheers
>>

>Hi John,
>
>I'm relatively new to xPL, but I am currently busy writing some linux
>native software for interfacing with x10 as I have the same cm11
>module. I've only written my first xPL gateway last night so it will
>probably still take a while, but I am planning on doing the following:
>
>(*) xPLHal type service running on linux with webinterface for scripts
>and timed events
>(*) a x10 xPL gateway
>
>More information coming soon.

This is fantastic news!
The x10 gateway would be especially welcomed as with this and the JAVA
scripting framework it will then be possible to run a basis (well quite
advanced) XPL setup soley on Linux.

I do feel quite guilty at present running two boxes 24/7 given the
current energy crisis!
Will be happy to test them out! (I am running Mandrake 10.1 at the
moment but will be soon changing to Ubuntu)
Cheers

P.S. does anyone know if those USB <--> serial adapters work with
linux?
My next mothreboard will probable not have a serial port on )-: