Re: xPL...1 Wire

  • Subject: Re: xPL...1 Wire
  • From: steve.cooper@xxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 10:40:00 +0000

Having read through the xPL spec fully last night I have a few
implementation areas I'm unsure of when it comes to a 1-wire network.
These are mainly based around at what level you create the xPL instance.
If my understanding is correct each instance needs to create a heartbeat
but can issue messages of any schema it likes.

This would work well with having each zone as a particular instance with
multiple device types hanging off each zone. The problem comes when you
want to attach two temperature devices within a particular zone. You then
need to distinguish between the two so need to set the instance at the
device level rather than the zone level. You are then back at the look up
table idea matching ID to instance which isn't quite so pretty and makes
splitting the network up a bit more complex (if you are coupling the
network using DS2409 you need to know behind which one the device is or you
need to poll though each branch to find it).

There may be others ways to set things up but I think we need to pull
everyone's ideas of how they think it might be implemented together up
front to flush out all the options. Therefore any interested party now is
the time to put forward your view.

S.

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not
read, copy or otherwise use it and do not disclose it to anyone else.
Please notify the sender of the delivery error and then delete the
message from your system.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author only.

Communications will be monitored regularly to improve our service and for
security and regulatory purposes.

Thank you for your assistance.