Re: xPL...1 Wire

  • Subject: Re: xPL...1 Wire
  • From: Ian Lowe
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 13:28:00 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: <<a
href="/group/ukha_xpl/post?postID=cTFPr81X72UDHwJaeqnQkhebGWKqPeLRAOr7VVUZbvNYlJfomPG8Cp610uTei72_-1rhYrnd5FyDwrd9MwmNPiMS">steve.cooper@u...</a>>
> If my understanding is correct each instance needs to create a
heartbeat
> but can issue messages of any schema it likes.

This is correct, yes

> This would work well with having each zone as a particular instance
with
> multiple device types hanging off each zone. The problem comes when
you
> want to attach two temperature devices within a particular zone. You
then
> need to distinguish between the two so need to set the instance at the
> device level rather than the zone level.

This was where the "device=" tag will be used.

In essence, this is the same situation as an X-10 "bus" with
multiple
modules on it..

A gateway would generate a series of status messages, of the form

device=sensor1
temp=

device=sensor2
temp=

Each from the instance of the 1-wire gateway, just as x10 trigger messages
originate from a CM12 gateway app with a device=(module id)

> There may be others ways to set things up but I think we need to pull
> everyone's ideas of how they think it might be implemented together up
> front to flush out all the options. Therefore any interested party now
is
> the time to put forward your view.

indeed. I think the version I have outlined is the one currently favoured
by
Myself, John and Tony, from the conversations we have had over the last few
days, but now is certainly the time to resolve these matters.

Ian.