Re: Re: Mango M2M and xAP]

xAP is still a relatively new protocol and it is not commercial or
supported by a large company with a big marketing budget,  just a number
of enthusiasts so it cant ever compete visibility wise.. It is certainly
more prevalent in the UK than the US

Having said that we have support within most leading HomeAutomation
software applications now for xAP and there are an increasing number of
apps on an almost weekly basis - maybe 100+ or so now ?  xAP is a
lightweight easy to adopt protocol aimed squarely at 'getting things
done' for users.  It differs by orders of magnitude in terms of both
size and complexity say with UPnP (which is the big guns offering) and
brings automation and control into the realms of the enthusiast and
professional.  If you are looking at adding xAP in order to stimulate
people to use/purchase your software it's probably not the most obvious
choice - however in terms of offering new easy access solutions it would
be ideal.

Kevin

wrote:

>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> Thanks for the information. Regarding the license, if it is indeed
GPL
>> i unfortunately will not be able to use the code within Mango,
since i
>> am planning to have add-ons and such for which i would charge. If
the
>> developer (Patrick Lidstone, i believe) has not yet decided, then
the
>> LGPL is much more adoption friendly.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> m@
>>

>> --- In xAP_developer@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <lists@> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Matthew,
>>>
>>>   I had a quick look at your website and this looks very
interesting
>>> ...  glad you are considering adding xAP support.
>>>
>>>    Probably the most prevalent and useful schema you will wish
>>> support is xAP 'BSC'  which is Basic Status and Control - it
handles

>> (as
>>
>>> it says on the tin) most simple I/O involving binary, level
and text
>>> based devices.
>>>

> http://www.xapautomation.org/wiki/index.php/Basic_Status_and_Control_Schema
>
>>> We will  be augmenting this with a 'TSC' schema (telemetry)
very
>>> shortly and an initial 'for comment' version is already
available at

>> the
>>
>>> url below. TSC better handles sensor reporting data including
>>>
> ranges,
>
>>> real world units and negative values etc.
>>>

> http://www.xapautomation.org/wiki/index.php/xAP_Telemetry_Status_and_Control_Schema
>
>>>   There are a few hardware I/O devices supporting embedded xAP
BSC.
>>> Two useful ones will be the Phaedrus xAP Netiom which is
essentially
>>> mostly digital I/O, including serial  but has 4 analogue
inputs. Of
>>> recent date the opnone which is a 1-wire interface, shortly
there

> will
>
>>> be a serial version too that supports X10 and another for SMS
>>>
>> messaging.
>>
>>>  There is also an embedded C-Bus controller supporting BSC but
you
>>> probably won't have the hardware to support that.  If you are
able to
>>> work with software applications there are also several other
useful
>>> applications around using BSC that could help too.
>>>
>>> http://www.phaedrusltd.com/pages/html/netiom-xap.html
>>> http://www.opnode.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=home
>>>
>>>    Any questions - just ask away and once again ... I believe
the
>>> existing Java libraries are also released under GPL and there
have

> been
>
>>> a couple of tweaks to them recently ... but I'll leave that to
be
>>> confirmed by those involved.....   Once again welcome and I
look

>> forward
>>
>>> to seeing xAP support within Mango M2M
>>>
>>>   Cheers Kevin