Re: Mango M2M and xAP]

  • Subject: Re: Mango M2M and xAP]
  • From: Daniel Berenguer <dberenguer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:14:40 +0200

--- In xAP_developer@xxxxxxx, "mlohbihler" <ml@...>
wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> Maybe it's a North American thing, but from the small sample set that
> i have it doesn't appear that xAP has achieved very large adoption
> yet. Please correct me if i'm wrong since i really have very little
> data to go on.
>
> Cheers,
> m@

Hi Matthew,

If you're looking for a great variety of embedded controllers and an
important community of people using them, then xAP (nor xPL) is maybe
not your technology. Lonworks, EIB, Modbus and Bacnet are technologies
by far more demanded than xAP. Nevertheless, xAP can't be compared to
those technologies.

In my opinion, xAP users are implementing xAP as an upper layer on top
of other technologies/protocols (C-BUS, X10, 1-Wire, ...) taking
advantage of xAP's integration capabilities. xAP is a great tool, not
only a protocol, although at least in my opinion, it's not a good idea
to centre a project with any economic expectations around this
technology. Mostly because of the limited size of the xAP community. If
you need an integration tool, an effective UDP protocol or just some
good ideas from a great community, then xAP is a very good choice.

Daniel.