Re: Strange Viewer issue

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:40:53 +0100, "Kevin Hawkins"
<lists@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Yes - that's how I saw it too the remote hub just forwards it and
should
>apply no intelligence at all.

Except for validation perhaps?

>   > Locally ... this is a feature that xFx Hubs already
>   > support (multiple devices on the same port). James and I
>   > have already been through this one, if it's the thing I'm
>   > thinking of. I can't recall the implementation details of
>   > this tweakette anymore though.
>
>Hmm - a little worried here - are you saying that xFx hubs are
different to
>the spec and handle this as a special case ?? Meaning that the HomeSeer
>usage might break other hubs as they do not have this tweak ??
Actually I
>think all that is required is for the hub to forward a message once on
>broadcast or loopback address to the port listed - of course you may
have
>had to stop the message being forwarded to the same port several times
-
>maybe that was the tweak you mean ?? Without this duplicate messages
would
>appear.

That last bit sounds right - I definitely did not do anything on
special case terms - it's all or nothing with xFx. I think it was more
down to my implementation than anything else. Maybe James has a
clearer memory of this. I wasn't doing anything out-of-spec as I
recall, just tuning the way it was implemented as I think there were
duplicate messages arriving for each HS application on the same port.

I'm sure it was specifically when there were multiple registrations on
the one port. If you only registered a single client on that port
internally in your Hub implementation, it worked fine (as with
Patrick's as I recall??) but if you managed each individual client
separately as I was doing, they'd all receive multiple copies.

If that's how it was perhaps a note needs adding to the spec on this
one?

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/