Re: xAP "display rules" - request for an application

  • Subject: Re: xAP "display rules" - request for an application
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:15:00 +0000

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:55:47 -0000, "mark_harrison_uk2"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=WxJZ6LNj5aoD6oPkt3iEEb2HDCogsS_WZzuOE2-MhyJwi5fpPRjZ8Vf6a2nsE6QN0gSkHVhiTZG8DQ">mph@a...</a>>
wrote:

>It's clear to me that I'm missing one "killer app" in my xAP
world.

>I have lots of telemetry fly around, but I need something that
>listens to all of it, and prioritises when should be displayed on my
>(limited) display devices.

My own telemetry volume is increasing dramatically with my new POP3
app, especially now it's spitting out status messages. It's great!!!!

>In my view, this should be a separate engine to the display
>controller, which should remain a very simple thing. The logic for
>this is that ultra-lightweight display devices attached to, say,
>PICs, won't have the horsepower to run rules themselves.

I totally agree. It would also duplicate the logic, introducing
inconsistencies and bugs unless the shared rules were loaded and
interpreted by the device, adding to the load dramatically.

>Under normal circumstances, I want it to display the temperature
>outside...
>
>... unless an email comes in, when I want it to display the
"from"
>and "subject".

Kevin said much the same to me today and it has also been running
through my head. To quote a bit from Kevin (hope you don't mind!):

66
It would be really nice to be able to only display OSD messages
based on the Sender of the email (then I can see yours but not
others). PLUS Do you support a display priority like James' 1-9 - If
so you could assign a priority to incoming emails based on FROM and TO
and then selectively enable the display level on each device .
99

I think we're all talking about much the same. I've certainly reached
the point where my OSD apps are 'fillers' awaiting something else -
they're bl00dy quick to write, but somewhat wasted effort. I wonder if
xPLHAL could step in here?

>What do people think. Anyone feel like working together on this?

I certainly have an interest in experimenting in this area but I
desperately want to sort out the GUI versions of my apps first. I'm
clearing some ToDo items first before doing that. There's a reason I
haven't mentioned any of these xAPps over on UKHA_D yet, simply
because I want a simpler and more attractive UI shell rather than
console apps and XML config files that require editing by hand to
tweak them up. I think it's all very simple, but others surely
disagree.

And don't mention the documentation and HowTos I've got on the list
too. <deep sigh>

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=i-3pOEosfGm-6OZ2HF6uOo3y3pcXn28bIrv1Cw0JstpsvKOXgSXT0dqsEWy3564tK4F_gA319TLnAFOiJ4tVTMcO">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net