Re: xAP "display rules" - request for an application

  • Subject: Re: xAP "display rules" - request for an application
  • From: John B
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:10:00 +0000

> >Under normal circumstances, I want it to display the temperature
> >outside...
> >
> >... unless an email comes in, when I want it to display the
"from"
> >and "subject".
>
> Kevin said much the same to me today and it has also been running
> through my head. To quote a bit from Kevin (hope you don't mind!):
>
> 66
> It would be really nice to be able to only display OSD messages
> based on the Sender of the email (then I can see yours but not
> others). PLUS Do you support a display priority like James' 1-9 - If
> so you could assign a priority to incoming emails based on FROM and TO
> and then selectively enable the display level on each device .
> 99
>
> I think we're all talking about much the same. I've certainly reached
> the point where my OSD apps are 'fillers' awaiting something else -
> they're bl00dy quick to write, but somewhat wasted effort. I wonder if
> xPLHAL could step in here?
>
> >What do people think. Anyone feel like working together on this?

This is certainly an area where xPLHal would be right at home - especially
now
it has full integration with xAP.
It's ideal for complex processing of rules where you need to take into
account
all devices on your xAP/xPL network and make decisions based on the various
messages that have originated from those devices.

You can use global variables to keep track of the state of devices, e.g.
I have a global for my meteor that has three values: ON-HOOK, RINGING, and
OFF-HOOK.
As the various xPL messages are sent by the Meteor service, the global gets
updated accordingly.

So, suppose an email comes in while the phone is ringing, and you don't
want the
email to overwrite the CID info currently on the display, you would just
say
something like:

If not sys.value("Meteor_Status") = "RINGING" Then
' Phone is not ringing, so display the email on the OSD device
End If

You could put the contents of the email from and subject into temporary
globals,
and as soon as the phone is answered, the CID info could be replaced by the
details of the email that arrived while the phone was ringing - the only
limit
to what can be done is your imagination.

We're currently working with Kevin on the xAp-to-xPL bridge HowTo - this
should
be a good starting point for anyone who wants to have a go at joining the
two
worlds together and/or make use of xPLHal's scripting capabilities.

Regards,

John