Re: Topic 4: Point to point acknowledgement in xAP messages

  • Subject: Re: Topic 4: Point to point acknowledgement in xAP messages
  • From: Patrick Lidstone
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:22:00 +0000

--- In <a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=fB2zi2l5LoAKSsJw22ivYMhBcLYH45P74R7F_Wv8PyZL6o_wUCxWOdM8sIpJTH7OVVdTbSeMyr1QaTIQLmLwU7gmYbeu3Q">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>,
"Kevin Hawkins" <lists@u...>
wrote:
> Just thinking about points 4) and D) below and it struck me
that tcp
> would provide the solution - should we allow a tcp connection to be
created
> between two partner xAP's on a network

Lots of problems with this, I think.

- Effectively each connection becomes stateful. It's a big deal to
manage a list of connections on a simple processor. What happens when
you can't handle any more connections because you don't have the
resources?

- We're supposed to be network agnostic. Point-to-point connections
assume the ability to uniquely address. This brings with it a whole
host of fundamental problems like: how do I address a device on a
different network, address translation and so on. It's a complete can
of worms compared to the simplicity of "send everything to
everyone".

Patrick