Project awareness initiative...

  • Subject: Project awareness initiative...
  • From: Quinten Uijldert
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:25:00 +0000

Hi all,

Just joined the list (have been member on and off in the past) and read
through the archive to catch up a bit with ongoing work. As I have just
started on a small xapplication I thought it worthwile to post what I will
be doing and see if someone can spot any flaws, issues, etc.

The app in question is a TCL/C hybrid combination and will run natively on
the TiVo. The reason for this hybrid is that 1) I can't program UDP sockets
in TCL, and 2) I can't access the TiVo database in C. The program shall be
configurable through an external text file with some parameters which
dictate frequency of broadcasts, formatting of strings, etc. The intention
is to have this program broadcast TiVo status information, such as, current
programname, recording status, uptime, temperature, last guide retrieval
time, etc. The messages broadcasted can then be captured by whatever client
you want (a slimp3, a webserver, a datacollector, you name it) and
processed
into a, for that client, suitable format.

I have already a working TCL script for the TiVo database (courtesy of
TiVoWeb), and a working xAP sender (courtesy of Patrick's excellent xAPLib
and xAPSender), I just need to integrate/tune/comment/remodel/adjust and
hack it into something which works as described above ;-)

I have no idea how long it is going to be before an alpha release, but this
list will be the first to know.

Q.

--
I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up.