Re: Logic: Distributed or Centralised?

Quoting Kevin Hawkins (2/7/06 2:54 PM):
> Ahh .... reminds me I
> must, and will,  push forward on getting that extended UID format
> formally announced,. I know it's a restriction to you in its current
> form but the new format we pre announced should suit ,  I hope.

I ended up implementing "virtual xAP devices"--I believe
consistent w/
some of the other authors that had similar issues.  It caused
complications w/i the core mh xAP code; but, it's working now.  I'll
"rip it out" once the new UID format comes along.

> I'm also playing with * at the moment and now better understand a few
> things about how to adapt/extend * ; like scripts compared with  code
> hacks ,  CLI and * manager interface.   Also the channel, trunk,
> extension type things that were concerns to you in shoehorning that
into
> the existing xAP CID schema and xAP Switchboard.   I know you were
> considering a new CTI schema and also some manager interface to * that
> modelled state etc. Did you get anywhere with these .Patricks
'eventing'
> xAP interface is really a little too raw and verbose for my needs, it
> would need quite a bit of state modelling sitting somewhere else to be
> appropriate so I was looking at adding perhaps just the CID schema,
dial
> capability and maybe a VM report or two. But I'm thinking (nay let's
be
> optimistic - hoping) you maybe have this now already ??

Well--kind of.  I "caved" and did my best to adopt a very similar
model
to what you and James created.  One notable difference is that my
endpoints are permanent--not created "on the fly". Otherwise, all
of the
messages are fully CTI compliant (as best as I can tell).

I've not yet published the code as there are some changes that I should
implement to make it require fewer dependencies and lesson the memory
consumption (by ~ 10M).  That would also make it use the same libs as
the zoneminder xAP connector (which is much more mature).  But, it's
been working for me in production since Oct of last year.  It also seems
to be fairly compatible w/ James's switchboard excepting one of the
logging (either inbound or outbound--can't remember which).  I can
initiate calls from SB though.

The connector does do full state tracking in a way that is compatible w/
CTI.  It also transmits the voicemail stats in a CTI2 dialect (I was
lazy and didn't really want a CTI2; so, it's a place holder until yours
does something similar).  I believe that the CTI2 messages output is
consistent w/ the discussions that we were having.

Since I seem to be behind getting the connector polished up; I'll at
least package it up in it's current state for anyone that wants it.  Be
forewarned, you should have some reasonable knowledge about asterisk and
using perl apps (e.g., installing the CPAN dependencies as there's no
installer or "exe").  I'll follow sometime before week's end w/
an
announcement.

Gregg