Re: Logic: Distributed or Centralised?

Quoting Andy Laurence (2/7/06 11:33 AM):
> From: Kevin Hawkins [mailto:lists@xxxxxxx]

>> The third approach is to involve a controller in the middle
between
>> devices .   Here a device listens to all messages (or is targeted
with
>> specific messages) ) and onwardly passes the appropriate device
>> actions.  The controller can be a very simple 'mapper' between
inputs
>> and outputs or more usually will implement logic or scheduling.
>> Currently these controllers are PC based applications like
HomeSeer,
>> MisterHouse, ANother(TBA), xAP BSC Mapper, xAP Desktop and xAP
Floorplan
>> . These HA applications generally use VBScript or a variant with
xAP
>> extensions.
>
> As Misterhouse is Linux-based, I wonder if it could be ported to the
Sharp Zaurus?

A clarification.. misterhouse (mh) isn't limited to linux--although a
large amount of the user base does run it on linux platforms.  There are
relatively few platform centric parts of mh (e.g., extraction of system
"uptime"; local device drivers).  If you only want to utilize the
non-local device parts of mh (i.e., use it as a network controller),
then I see no problem.  I recently added xAP BSC support to mh so that
mh-local devices can be controlled/monitored by non-mh xAP
"controllers"
and mh can monitor/control xAP BSC devices (e.g., the xAP NetIOM).
There's a good deal of additional xAP support as well (e.g., CTI/CID
(asterisk and CID units), VMI (for zoneminder), TTS/Speech, Weather, and
others).  It is also possible to run distributed mh "instances"
where
their state is "synced" using xAP.  Assuming you have perl
installed and
then install some of the dependent CPAN libs, you should be set to run
it on your zaurus.  Memory consumption ranges from 16-35M.

Gregg