RE: Logic: Distributed or Centralised?

  • Subject: RE: Logic: Distributed or Centralised?
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 08:14:40 -0000

From: Kevin Hawkins [mailto:lists@xxxxxxx]
> You will need a middle controller application of some form with the
xAP
> Netiom (see inline comments in previous message) to map it's inputs
> 'events' into commands to other devices. BSC mapper will do this

OK, I shall have to start work on an HA server then!  I may use a VM on a
current server for now, rather than go the solid-state route immediately.

> (although we still ongoingly have OCX/memory issues with that
> application). xAP Floorplan can also do it very neatly and has a web
> based front end which sounds ideal for you.  The latest version is
even
> AJAX based so updates very quickly (near realtime) .  xAP Desktop is
not
> a web based front end but creates widgets that exist within your
Windows
> desktop  Very powerful , takes a bit more familiarisation to fully
> appreciate all it can do, but operates in realtime..

I've yet to try out xAP Desktop.  I may have a play with it at some point,
but I'll most likely stick to xAP-Floorplan for now as it's got the web
interface, which is handy.

> What lighting do you have currently or will you be using the Netiom
> outputs through relays to switch lights ?  There are no xAP embedded
> lightswitches or dimmers yet - but Lehane has plans to change all that

Currently, I have a battle with solicitors, estate agents, buyers and
vendors.  Hopefully, next month, I shall have a house that conveniently
needs a complete rewire.  I'm considering using the NetIOM with relays to
do the lighting, just to keep costs to a minimum at the moment, but I do
definitely plan to upgrade to something like CBus in the future.  The
wiring will be designed such that any install is possible.  I shall search
the archives to find what Lehane is working on....

Cheers,
Andy