Re: Why so few messages on here?

Johan Helsingius wrote:

>Those are all great tools, but at the same time they tend to make a lot
>of the new, cool things be Windows-only. And some of us just don't want
>to have our houses controlled by a Windows machine (or don't like doing
>any development on closed, proprietary environments that keep changing
>on the whim of one company).
>
>	Julf

Julf,

The four apps that we've released to date have been for Windows only,
because most of the coding has been done by Mary (my wife) who was a
professional VB programmer before we had children.

One of the problems I have is that most xAP stuff we've put together is
either to meet a need that we have in our own house, or to meet the need
of a consultancy client. If we're deploying stuff for a client, it tends
to be very "shim-shaped" and rather than having all the stuff
you'd
expect in a released application (like configurability, say), we'll
typically encode stuff like xAP-instance in the source code for that
particular client.

As it happens, I'm working (early stages) on a linux xAPplet at the
moment. At the moment, I have no idea whether it'll ever get to
"release
candidate" stage or whether the particular client will be the only
user
(The client is severely mobility impaired, and the applet is hardly
useful in a generic HA environment.)

One of my business goals for this year is to get some commercial sales
using xAPDesktop as the control surface. This would, I guess, please
James :-)

Mark