Re: Why so few messages on here?

Johan Helsingius wrote:

>>   One other thing which makes things seem quiet  is that MSN
Messenger
>>is used an awful lot,
>>

>Messenger? Are you talking about the IRC channel? Or something else on
>MSN or something?

Microsofts MSN messenger I'm afraid - as a point to point chat client.
yes, the irc channel seems very dormant - I too have looked a few times
but its always quiet or empty - maybe a few of us can make more effort
there. Most people who 'chat' on xAP are around evenings and not during
the day.

> > indeed hours every evening by the various
> > developers.
>
>That would explain why I never see anyone on the #xap IRC channel. I
>start up the client in the morning, see no-one there, and leave it in
>the background... :-/
>

>>If there
>>are gaps in the xAP applications then everyone is always interested
in
>>hearing what people would like to see - and even more interested if
>>people are interested in writing such an application ;-)    Having
>>great free scripting and display engine with xAP Desktop has
allowed
>>everyone to integrate xAP applications just as they wish so all the
>>tools are there now. For those using HomeSeer the xAP plugin
provides
>>full integration with HS and all your xAP devices, again including
>>scripting.
>>

>Those are all great tools, but at the same time they tend to make a lot
>of the new, cool things be Windows-only. And some of us just don't want
>to have our houses controlled by a Windows machine (or don't like doing
>any development on closed, proprietary environments that keep changing
>on the whim of one company).

That's an unfortunate bi-product of the people writing the apps and the
largest audience for the tools being Windows based.  I have written some
xAP stuff in embedded ANSI C for xAP but I use Visual Basic most of the
time for PC applications.  James too uses VB and Stuart B uses C#
(.Net) . Most of the scripting is in VB of course within xAP desktop or
HomeSeer. Patrick has written and released a lot of Linux stuff and
James runs it for some of his servers. Stuart P was also writing some
Linux stuff, any update S ??   After Patrick has moved home I am hopeful
he will have more time to spend back in the xAP community.

Of course all contributions are most welcome , indeed we are actively
looking for people who can contribute in the Linux area and  also C++
particularly as we have a couple of projects there. Many libraries and
source code examples are already available...

Kevin