Re: Anyone using HP Microserver as vmware ESX Server?

On 13/03/11 21:16, Rob Iles wrote:

> One thing I was disappointed with - - and this is probably showing my
> ignorance - - I expected to be able to attach a keyboard, mouse&
monitor to
> the ESXi Server, and "use" on / more of the OS's it hosted.
Couldn't do so
> - had to RDP/VNC into the guest OS's for any interaction.  Not a
*huge*
> problem, but would have been nice not to need another pc/laptop as a
> "client".   (If I missed something obvious, and it is
possible, I'd love to
> know how!).
>
> Rob
That's normal for ESX/ESXi. You have to connect in with a client in
order to do anything remotely useful. You can always use the CLI for
basic management, but that's all. The client is vSphere, and I believe
you need to pay for it. There is no Linux client either, even though
there's rumoured to be one in use internally within VMware.

If you want to have a moderately useful host OS, go with VirtualBox or
KVM. If you want a less useful host OS and a free client, go with XEN.

Personally I've found VirtualBox with phpVirtualBox to be fantastic for
home use. I keep the VMware live migration and shared storage wrangling
for work.

Kyle

--
Kyle Gordon - 2M1DIQ