Re: Anyone using HP Microserver as vmware ESX Server?

Hi,

First, I've not used one of those! However, at =A3199, AND =A3100
cashback,=
it
seems like a very cheap system!

I'd expect to have to add disk space (250GB supplied) and Ram (1GB
Standard).....worth checking prices first.

I recently tried ESXi Server for the first time.....seemed to run very
smoothly (Win7, Ubuntu10, Win Server 2003 & Win Server 2008) on a
fairly ol=
dual-core intel box with 6GB Ram.

Alas, something went bang, magic smoke escaped, and I've not yet sourced a
replacement to continue testing.

One thing I was disappointed with - - and this is probably showing my
ignorance - - I expected to be able to attach a keyboard, mouse &
monitor t=
the ESXi Server, and "use" on / more of the OS's it hosted.
Couldn't do so
- had to RDP/VNC into the guest OS's for any interaction.  Not a *huge*
problem, but would have been nice not to need another pc/laptop as a
"client".   (If I missed something obvious, and it is possible,
I'd love to
know how!).

Rob

On 13 March 2011 20:58, Ben McCormack <yahoogroup@xxxxxxx>wrote=
:

> All
>
> I am thinking of getting a HP Microserver to utilise as a ESXi server
as =
> would like to have a play and also run some Virtaul Machines such as
cbus
> cgate etc.
>
> I have been looking at the following
>

> http://www.serversplus.com/servers/tower_servers/hp_tower_servers/633724-=
421

> They are very cheap coming in at around =A3210 with 4Gb RAM.
>
> I know there have been offers on them for a while.
>
> Just wondering if anyone else is using them?
>
> Ben
>=20=20

--=20
*Rob Iles