Re: Re: Solar PV ?

Following this post I just had a look at Tesco, who I didn't realise
did
this, and they appear to have a general 20% off promotion at the moment.
I am looking for a 4kW system and according to this page,
http://www.tescohomeefficiency.com/electricity-pricing/,
that will come
in at around £14,500, which is £11,600 after the discount. I
don't know
what they offer for that though. I have asked them to contact me.

I have had a quote from Domestic & General which is for £13,300
and
includes 16x Sanyo HIT panels, a Sunny Boy 3800 inverter and a Sunnybeam
Wireless Data Logger (with the USB on it). They came over as quite
professional but this seemed a bit steep to me so I would be interested
to hear if anyone has had any experience with them and also if there are
any installers anyone would recommend in the Bristol area. I am a nice
vanilla install with no shading or obstructions, plenty of loft access,
and space for loads of panels facing 20 degrees West of South.

Any recommendations in this area would be welcome.

Regards

Phil

On 20/07/2011 09:23, Marcus Warrington wrote:
> James,
>
> 8 weeks was about the same lead time as mine, which are due to be
installed on Monday :). I think all the (decent) installers are very busy
at the moment, given the greater awareness of the Fits scheme, the imminent
increase in electricity costs and very sunny weather we've been having
recently.

> I managed to get 3.99KWh passed by our DNO (Electricity North West)
but they are now *trying* to backtrack to 3.84KWh. My installer was telling
me that the DNO's use different nominal voltage values for their
calculations. Northwest use 240V so we are fortunate that our maximum is
3.84KWh but I guess WesternPower use 230V to compute their maximum hence
3.64KWh. He was also telling me about another client who's DNO wanted to
charge them £4500 to go above the 16amp limit! That's effectively
£4500 for an extra 190Watt (3.80 to 3.99)

> When "Tesco" quoted for our install they wouldn't quote for
anything over 3.64KWh because of the potential issues with DNO's,and they
still came out as the most expensive quote, even against others quoting for
3.99!  When Tesco rang me back to ask what I thought of their quote I told
them I had decided to go with a cheaper quote. The lady on the phone then
immediately offered me a 20% discount, dropping their quote from
£13999 to £11200 and still with £200 clubcard points.
Tactics like this really annoy me, basically inflating the initial charge
and then reducing it if the customer doesn't accept it.... needless to say
they still didn't get my custom!

> I guess your pretty much south facing to get those annual estimates.
>
> Marcus

Fidell
> Sent: 19 July 2011 17:45
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Re: Solar PV ?
>

> Well, I've just sent off the deposit and contract for my own solar PV
> installation. Lead time is six to eight weeks for the installer I've
> chosen, but he was by far the most professional and confidence-
> inspiring of those I saw.
>
> I'm having 14 x 260W panels installed which is slightly lower than I'd
> have liked or have space for, but apparently Western Power (our DNO)
are